Annual Meeting Minutes – November 7, 2017
Location: Fire Station, 9339 SE Causey
Board Members Present: Neil Gavrich, John Chapman, Dave Gilman, Jonathan Harbaugh, Josh Gavrich, Jonathan Handsaker, Bob Stallman, Nancy Hall, Suzanne Merritt
Board Members Absent: none
Homeowners Present: See list
Call to Order: 7:00 pm by President Neil Gavrich
Approval of Meeting Minutes – Board Meeting October 3, 2017
The Board members had the draft minutes available by email. A motion was made by John Harbaugh to approve the October 3, 2017 minutes as submitted. It was seconded by Bob Stallman and all Board members approved.
Path Light Replacement with LEDs
The status is that the contractor is ready to do the work but a motion is needed to allocate the funds. The motion at the previous meeting only allocated $700 for repairs. A motion was made by Neil to allocate funds to replace all the path lights with LEDs. It was seconded by Suzanne. All Board members approved. It was noted that the replacement would cost about $3600 but that we would receive an energy efficiency rebate of about $800.
Homeowner Concerns (by Suzanne)
- Suzanne noted that there had been concerns about new plants at 99th and Idleman that blocked the view for cars turning left onto Idleman. Dave said he recently called the County about this issue. The County said they would check it out and call back.
- A homeowner who lives on 96th avenue asked about the trees that were cut on 94th. John Chapman explained that the owner (a realtor) did not ask permission from the HOA. John said that he measured the stumps to determine the penalty ($50 per inch) and then sent a letter with a fine of $3050. He said that he had received a call from the homeowner saying the trees were rotten and unsafe, and that he was not aware it was in an HOA. John will tell the homeowner that to change the fine the homeowner will have to document any tree issues with documentation from an arborist.
BOARD OFFICERS/COMMITTE REPORTS
President: Neil Gavrich
- Neil said that he had inquiries from some new homeowners and answered their questions about the HOA.
- He got new locks for the path lights breaker boxes so the contractor can install the LED lights.
Vice-president: Suzanne Merritt
- She noted that she had put out the fall newsletter.
- She is also doing the holiday light contest this year, as noted in the fall newsletter.
- She noted that the HOA has a Facebook page thanks to Neil’s’ wife.
Secretary: Dave Gilman
- He provided the minutes for the October 3, 2017 Board meeting for approval.
Treasurer’s Report: John Chapman
- John reported on HOA finances.
- The HOA now has about $47,000 in all the accounts. He explained that the HOA should have at least a year’s budgeted spending in reserve. We are now ahead of this because we have recently collected back dues.
- He noted that about 85% of HOA homeowners have paid their dues. There are now 6 homeowners that are behind more that 3 years and will be sent letters.
Environmental Committee: Jonathan Harbaugh
- Jonathan reported that the dumpsters will be placed the weekend of Nov 10. The 7 boxes will be in the usual locations as noted in the fall newsletter.
- He said that his wife has offered to do the welcome for new homeowners.
- He is doing some research to find a treatment to prevent growth on the path light poles.
- He noted that the Board needs to consider methods for non-native plant eradication in the common areas.
Covenant Compliance: Jonathon Handsaker
- Jonathon noted that house on 98th has had the yard cleaned up by our landscaper and the homeowner will be sent a bill. There has been no response from the homeowner.
- He was asked about the dead tree on 99th and Kela Court. He has written letters but has not received any response from the homeowner. He will call an arborist (Clay's Tree Service) to check on the tree.
Architectural: Josh Garvich
- Josh reported he had received requests to change house paint colors and had taken care of them.
Safety: Bob Stallman
· Bob reported that the County Access project is putting curb cuts in for handicap access, even if there are no sidewalks. This is just starting, so it may not reach our area for years.
Eagle Landing: Nancy Hall
- Nancy reported that the City of Happy Valley (HV) hearing was held in September. The HV Planning Commission approved the master plan with conditions and the City Council followed suit. The next step will be for the developer to get the final master plan to HV within 2 years. See the HOA web site for additional details
- The Sunnyside United Neighbors (SUN) CPO has asked if we would like to join their CPO since the West Mt Scott CPO is inactive and no one wants to volunteer to start it. She will ask Martha (SUN chairman) to come to the January meeting to discuss.
HOA Web Site: Thomas Spathas
- He reported the web site is up and running correctly. He can change email routing for new members as needed. He asked for suggestion on what people want to see on the HOA web site. He is still considering going to a different provider.
BOARD ELECTIONS (Suzanne)
The HOA election process for Board members was explained. A nomine must be a homeowner in good standing. There are 3 Board members whose term expires at the end of 2017. They are Dave Gilman, John Chapman, and Bob Stallman. Suzanne opened nominations.
James Allen (contact at 503-380-9187)
Steve Schroeder (contact at 503-754-7761)
These were elected by 16 votes for each. They will start their term at the January 2018 Board meeting. The officers and committee assignments will be determined then.
Adjournment: at 8:45 pm by Neil
Next Regular Board Meetings: January 2, 2018 at 7 pm at the Fire Station. And each first Tuesday of the month that follows, except in August and December.